Upper Beaver Creek Burn Planned

Upper Beaver Creek Burn
Possible Smoke in Verde Valley
Update 2017-05-01: Upper Beaver Creek (UBC) burns this week
Incident: Spring 2017 Prescribed Burns Prescribed Fire
Upcoming & Current Prescribed Burns
The following prescribed burns have been scheduled on the Coconino National Forest. Fire managers may need to reschedule or cancel burns based on weather and conditions. Additional prescribed burn information will be added to this list as it becomes available.
Flagstaff Ranger District
A-1: 500 acres planned for the week of May 1, likely mid-week depending on the water. A-1 Mountain area near Braken Ranch Subdivision. Smoke may settle into Belemont and Baderville.
Mogollon Rim Ranger District
UBC – Upper Beaver Creek Project (Hollingshead Mountain): Weather permitting, an additional 1,000 acres are planned for the week of May 1, continuing from last week’s burns totaling around 2,300 acres. 3,500 acres total are planned, six miles south of the Happy Jack Work Station, near Hollingshead Mountain, FRs 83 and 83A. Smoke is predicted to disperse northeast, potentially impacting Lake Mary Road. Smoke will be visible from Lake Mary Road and I-17. Cooling temperatures in the evenings may cause smoke to settle and drain down nearby canyons, potentially West Clear Creek and the Verde Valley.

Zoning Issues


Land Use Violations:

To report a land use violation just dial the number below. Please describe the nature of the violation and the physical address or parcel number. You do not have to give your name if you wish to remain anonymous. The County does not actively patrol for violations and only investigates complaints it receives on the land use complaint hotline.

Yavapai County Land Use Hotline Number:  (928) 771-3464


A Summary of Land Use Violations and How to Report Them


What is a Land Use Violation?


Outside Storage

  • Vehicular parts
  • Appliances (unless in use)
  • Furniture not designed for outside use
  • Commercial equipment
  • Debris
  • Disabled or junk vehicles

Use Violations

  • Non-permitted businesses
  • Living in a travel trailer over 90 days a year
  • Multi-family in single family zones
  • Excessive lighting
  • Excessive livestock

Permit Violations

  • All new construction over $1,000.00 in value requires a zoning clearance
  • Structures not requiring a permit must still meet use and setback requirements
  • Work in Flood Plane requires permits
  • Most grading requires permits

Weeds and Trash

  • Excessive weeds causing a fire hazard may be addressed if the Fire Department of jurisdiction deems them a hazard

Other Violations

  • The Land Use Unit also handles the administrative abatement of failed septic systems, dangerous buildings, building code violations and flood control violations.

What is Not a Violation

  • Ugly or excessive vehicles
  • Barking dogs
  • Social nuisances or noisy activities
  • Violations of Deed Restrictions
  • Cars parked in Rights of Way
  • Weeds in ditches along Rights of Way

The Abatement Process

  • Complaint received and assigned to specialist
  • Property researched
  • Inspection performed
  • Violation verified (if applicable)
  • Property owner or occupant notifiedNotice of Violation served
  • Hearing scheduled
  • Determination by the Hearing Officer
  • Judgment generated
  • Compliance monitored
  • Appropriate referrals if warranted (Superior or Criminal Court)

Potential Penalties

  • Immediate administrative fine of $100.00
  • Typical fine of $750.00 if not in compliance with judgment within specified time frame
  • All fines are collected by either staff or collection agency
  • Judgment is recorded against property until resolved

How To Report A Land Use Violation

Reporting a possible land use violation is easy and only requires a call to the Yavapai County land use violation hot line, anonymously if you wish. To speed along the abatement process please provide a street address and parcel number. Most reported violations are investigated within ten days.

Yavapai County Land Use Hotline Number:


© 1967-2015 L.M.P.O.A./ www.lakemontezuma.us All rights reserved.

Animal Control Violations

Animal Control Safety and Violations:

To report an animal control violation just dial the number below. Please describe the nature of the violation and the physical address or parcel number. The Sheriff does not actively patrol for violations and only investigates complaints it receives.
Yavapai County Sheriff’s Number: 928-771-3260

A. Definitions

1. “AT LARGE” means being neither confined by a suitable enclosure nor physically restrained on a leash.
2. “ENFORCEMENT AGENT” means persons in Yavapai County responsible for the enforcement of this Ordinance and the regulations promulgated thereunder.
3. “OWNER” means any person owning, possessing, harboring or maintaining a dog, or any persons acting for the owner, or having charge of a dog.
4. “DOG” means member of the familiaris and domesticated wolves and offspring of dogs cross-bred with wild animals or domesticated wolves.
5. “DOG PARK” means a suitably enclosed and supervised area designated by the County or any city or town within which dogs are not required to be leashed or otherwise subject to physical restraint.

B. General Provisions

1. This Ordinance shall not apply to any incorporated city or town or to any Indian Reservation but shall apply only within the unincorporated areas of Yavapai County. The provisions of State law shall apply in those instances where this Ordinance is not equal to or more stringent than State law.
2. No dog shall be permitted at large except as provided herein. Dogs shall be confined within a suitable enclosure or otherwise physically restrained to prevent entry of dogs on public or private property other than the owner’s or on a leash not to exceed six (6) feet in length and of sufficient strength to control the dog.
3. Any dog over the age of four (4) months shall wear a collar or harness to which is attached a valid license tag. Dogs shall not be required to wear a collar or harness with a valid license attached while being used for control of livestock, or while being used or trained for hunting, while being exhibited or trained at a kennel club event, while engaged in races approved by the Arizona Racing Commission or while being transported to and from such events or races provided that they are properly vaccinated, licensed and controlled. In the event the owner can demonstrate that no approved vaccination is available a license which shall be different from a rabies tag is required.
4. It shall be unlawful for an owner or designated responsible person to maintain a dog having a propensity to bark, howl or otherwise disturb the peace and quiet of any county resident. The enforcement agency shall make every effort, including canvassing of affected neighbors, to ensure that unwarranted citations are not issued.

C. Enforcement

1. Any dog, licensed or unlicensed, which is running at large may be apprehended and impounded by the County enforcement agent. The County enforcement agent shall have the right to enter upon private property in order to apprehend any dog that has been running at large, provided the enforcement agent is in reasonable pursuit of such dog.
2. County enforcement agents and law enforcement officials may issue citations to the owner, or other person acting for the owner, when a dog is permitted to be at large. The procedure for the issuance of a notice to appear shall be as provided for peace officers in A.R.S. § 13-3903 except that the County enforcement officer shall not make an arrest before issuing the notice. The issuance of citations pursuant to this Ordinance shall be subject to the provisions of A.R.S. § 13-3899.
3. Pursuant to A.R.S. § 11-1015, it is unlawful for any person to interfere with the County enforcement agent in the performance of his duties.

D. Exemptions

1. A dog may run at large while participating in field trials, obedience classes, kennel club events, organized school or park-sponsored shows, while assisting its owner or trained in legal hunting or in herding livestock, while assisting a police officer engaged in law enforcement duties, or while assisting its blind or deaf master, so long as sufficient control is exercised permit immediate leashing of the dog upon any person’s reasonable request.
2. Dogs are allowed to occupy vehicles, including truck beds, without restraint, but as soon as a dog leaves a truck bed, it is considered to be at large

E. Special Exemption for Dog Parks

1. Upon written application by the County, or by any city or town, the Board of Supervisors may permit dogs to run without restraint within the enclosed area of a designated Dog Park subject to the condition that the
dog’s owner must remain within the enclosed area of the Dog park and exercise appropriate supervision and control at all times that a dog is allowed to run without restraint.
2. Applications for of a special exemption for a Dog Park shall be accompanied by a Development Plan to include a map and legal description of the proposed Dog Park, construction plans for all improvements to be made on the premises, procedures for maintaining the premises in a sanitary condition and a plan for staffing and supervision of the Dog Park.
3. As a condition of approval of a special exemption for a Dog Park, the applicant shall obtain a premises liability insurance policy, in a form acceptable to the County, with a minimum annual aggregate policy limit
as specified by the County which shall name the County as a primary or additional insured. The policy shall protect the County from any and all lawsuits, claims, awards or other losses, including reasonable attorney fees arising from the operation of the Dog Park. On or before the effective date of the special exemption, the applicant shall provide to the County a certificate of insurance confirming the required coverage and shall notify the County no less than 10 days prior to any changes in coverage including policy forms, policy limits, cancellations, non-renewals or changes in insurance carriers.
4. The operator of a Dog Park authorized pursuant to this Section may enact rules and regulating governing the operation of the Dog Park provided that such rules and regulations are equal to or more stringent than corresponding provisions of this Ordinance.
5. The Board of Supervisors may revoke a special exemption for a Dog Park upon a determination that the interests of the County are not served by continued operation of the Dog Park or that the public health, safety or welfare is threatened or may be threatened by continued operation of the Dog Park.

F. Biting Animals

1. The procedures set forth in A.R.S. § 11-1014 shall be followed for biting animals. Domesticated wolves and offspring of domestic animals bred with wild animals or domesticated wolves shall be considered wild animals pursuant to the provisions of A.R.S. § 11-1014(c).

G. Penalties

1. A person who is convicted of a violation of this Ordinance is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor. As a minimum penalty , a person convicted hereunder shall to pay a fine of not less than fifty dollars, which shall not be suspended unless, at the discretion of the judge court, that person is ordered to perform and complete a minimum of eight hours of community service.
2. Any person requesting the release of an impounded dog shall provide proof of anti-rabies vaccinations and license, or shall obtain any applicable license and vaccination and shall pay for the cost of impoundment in accordance with a fee schedule adopted by the Yavapai County Board of Supervisors. Proof of ownership of the dog may be required prior to release. Any impounded dog which is not claimed within seventy-two hours shall be deemed abandoned. County enforcement agents may take possession of abandoned dogs and may place the dog for sale or may dispose of the dog in a humane manner. Any person purchasing an abandoned dog shall obtain applicable anti-rabies vaccinations and pay the applicable license and impoundment fees.

H. Repealer

Yavapai County Ordinance No. 1991-2 is hereby repealed

I. Effective Date

This Ordinance, including the repealer contained herein shall be effective October 5, 2000.
Passed and adopted by the Yavapai County Board of Supervisors this 5th day of September, 2000.
/s/ A.G. “Chip” Davis A. G. “Chip” Davis, Chairman Yavapai County Board of Supervisors
/s/ Bev Staddon
Bev Staddon, Clerk
Yavapai County Board of Supervisors

Flood Insurance


Are you without flood insurance and would like to get it? Do you currently have flood insurance, but your rates are very expensive? Did your homeowners’ policy insurance company cancel your flood insurance portion? Do you live in an area where run off coming from mesas and ridges and old washes are overflowing, and you are looking for insurance coverage? According to Brian Cosson, CFM, NFIP State Coordinator for the Arizona Department of Water Resources, “everyone is eligible to purchase flood insurance regardless of the age of the structure, because Yavapai County is in good standing with the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Any structure that was permitted before August 19, 1985 is considered preFlood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) and is eligible for preFIRM rates. PreFIRM rates are approximately $400 per $100,000 in coverage. If the depth of flooding in an area is ‘only’ two (2) feet deep or so, an owner may only need $50,000 in structural coverage to cover the cost of carpet, drywall, cabinets, etc. The owner can also purchase contents insurance, which will increase the amount of the premium. Insurance can be obtained by contacting any insurance agent or by calling the National Flood Insurance Program at (800) 638-6620.”

Regarding the runoff areas Mr. Cosson states, “If the structure is located outside a Special Flood Hazard Area, the owner will most likely be eligible for the preferred risk policy, which can be as low as $250 a year.” Contact you insurance agency, then NFIP, to compare prices.

If you do not have insurance and would like to get it, contact a local agent AND the NFIP at the number above and compare prices. If you currently have insurance, contact your agent for the amount you are now paying, then call NFIP for their rate for the same coverage. You may get a better rate through NFIP. If your homeowners’ policy insurance company has dropped your flood insurance, contact another local agency, then contact NFIP and compare prices.

Visit this site www.floodsmart.gov to obtain more information on flooding insurance.

There are choices available. Take advantage of that fact and contact your sources to compare for the best price.