L.M.P.O.A. Meeting Minutes

Lake Montezuma








BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:  Sharon Brooks, Janet Aniol, Maggie Holt, Marie Kraetz , Karin Krippene and Carole Penfield-Krowne




I. GUEST SPEAKER.  Kala Pearson gave a power point presentation on the Ranch House Community Coalition Development Plan, which is focused on restoring and owning the Ranch House restaurant as a community owned and controlled asset.  A new Arizona not-for-profit corporation, the Beaver Creek Community Corporation was formed for this purpose.  Kala discussed the history of the Ranch House and its recent downward spiraling trend. The core action team is focused on restoring the Ranch House as community owned and controlled.


The first step is to enter into a long term lease with options to renew and ultimately purchase the Ranch House property. The plan is to do necessary restoration and repairs.  The photos showed a need for massive cleanup and restoration of the electrical system. The goals are to secure safety, replace flooring and kitchen equipment, revive the lounge (while retaining the original charm) and to promote restoration of the golf course.


The coalition plans to raise funds by seeking individual, non-profit and business members, who would have an ownership interest in the restaurant property with additional member advantages.


A letter of intent has been submitted to the owners and Kala hopes they will have a lease in hand soon. Following a 90 day construction period, with the help of community members in the manner of an old fashioned “barn raising”, it is hoped the restaurant may open by September 1, 2010. The restaurant will be open to the public.  The proposal does not include obtaining the golf course, only the 3+ acres on which the Ranch House stands. The liquor license goes with the restaurant and only needs to be renewed.


[Note: A copy of the PowerPoint presentation will be placed in the LMPOA minutes notebook at BCAC. There is also an article in the May 5th Bugle regarding the plan.  For further information, contact Kala at Luna Vista B&B.]


A show of hands of the attendees resulted in 100% support for the plan.


ll. MINUTES; The minutes from April 5 2010 were approved as distributed via email.


  FINANCIAL REPORT.  Maggie reported the balances in the bank accounts and passed out a written report. A motion was passed to approve the financials.







·        A certificate of liability from the group that used Rollins Park was handed to the secretary for the LMPOA records.

·        May 6-8  Kiwanis Community Yard Sale

·        May 5-6  Vegetable Gardening Class, 5:30 pm

·        May 6 BC School spring concert at 7:00 pm

·        May7  Koffee Klatch at BCAC 10:00 am

·        May 8  Electronic Recycling 9:00 am at Bashas

·        Contact Annika Head to help plan youth soccer activities.




Community Plan  Sharon reported that each committee has been asked to rank their goals and objectives.


Golf Club  A letter has been sent requesting the owners to cut the grass and weeds. Lee Weller reported that a permit has been issued to do the striping for golf cart crossings. A motion was passed to allocate $400 toward the striping of the crossings, one of which will also serve as a trail crossing.


Membership    Marie set up a nice table at the Buzzards Rendezvous and gave out lots of material about LMPOA.  Maggie said we have 201 paid up members to date.  Another reminder will be placed in the upcoming newsletter.


Newsletter Deadline for Input for the next issue is Sunday, May 9th.


Park   Bill reported that the fountain is now working and he is still waiting on bids for sidewalk improvements.  A thank you will be sent to Jeff Dykhuis who worked on the electric in Rollins Park.


Publicity/Concerts  A discussion was held regarding the cancellation of the April concert and rescheduling the Rimrockers.  Carole will call Jess Ebel to see whether they are available on May 22 at 10:00 am. There is a function at the BCAC that morning so there will be potential listeners around the park.


P&Z    See written P&Z report by Steve Sprinz, attached to these minutes.


Trails & Transportation      The McGuireville interchange project has been delayed due to the need to re-engineer a portion of the ramp.  The construction may be completed by July 1.


On Saturday, May 8th, the Trails committee will begin actual work on the trail from Rollins Park to Sycamore Park. Volunteers will begin cleaning the path, starting at Rollins Park.  The hours will be 7:30 am to 11:00 am. They will also be doing work on May 15th, same hours.


Water.  Information for ordering water testing kits was available for residents, who wish to their own well water themselves.  There is a charge.  Contact Karin Krippene for more information.


Karin attended the Verde Valley Water Users meeting. The San Pedro litigation is ongoing. ADWR lost funding, which may slow things down.  Karin also attended the Verde Valley Water Advisory Committee meeting.


Karin tried to set up a meeting with Chip Davis to discuss the bridge issue, but he asked her to work through Charlie Cave. A motion was passed to send the board approved letter to Charlie, with a copy to Chip.  There was also a good article about LMPOA’s ongoing efforts to get the County to do something about the flooding potential in last week’s Bugle newspaper.




Bylaws.  A motion was made to approve the revisions to the LMPOA Bylaws, which have been submitted to all members for review.  There were no comments.  A vote was taken of all LMPOA members in attendance and the motion passed unanimously.


Meeting adjourned 6;50 pm. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be Monday June 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm.


Submitted by Carole Penfield-Krowne, Secretary LMPOA


© 1967-2010 L.M.P.O.A./ All rights reserved.